Those who report being subjected to sexual misconduct, including harassment, sexual assault, or intimate partner violence, shall be provided with written information about his/her rights to:

  1. Notify law enforcement and receive assistance from campus authorities in making the notification; and,
  2. Obtain a protective order, apply for a temporary restraining order, or seek enforcement of an existing order. Such orders include:
    • Standing criminal protective orders
    • Protective orders issued in cases of stalking, harassment, sexual assault, or risk of injury to or impairing the morals of a child
    • Temporary restraining orders or protective orders prohibiting the harassment of a witness
    • Relief from physical abuse by a family or household member or person in a dating relationship
    • Family violence protective orders.

Information on how to apply for a restraining order is available here as well as through the Office for Victim Services. 1-800-822-8428.

Students should be aware that under Connecticut law (Public Act 12-114, entitled An Act Concerning Domestic Violence) that became effective on October 1, 2012, among other provisions, clerks of court are required upon request of the protected person to send notice of a protective order to the President and the special police force, if any, at the College or University at which the victim is enrolled. The full text of the statute can be found here.

In Connecticut, all survivors of crime have rights that are protected by law, including:

  • Assistance in obtaining immediate medical care, if required
  • Request to be notified of court proceedings, including arrest, arraignment, and release of the offender
  • Be protected from harassment from an employer for appearing as a witness if you have received a subpoena
  • Have property returned if it was seized by police in the investigation or prosecution of the crime committed against you
  • Make an application for compensation for any bodily injuries you have suffered as a result of the crime
  • Request to be informed of services and agencies that can help you, including the assistance of a court-based victim advocate.

In addition, if you are a survivor of family violence, including threats of violence:

  • The police have the responsibility of deciding whether or not to make an arrest. An officer can arrest your abusive partner with or without your consent if the officer believes a crime has been committed.
  • You have the right to request the arrest of an offender, and the right to file a complaint with the police.
  • If your abusive partner is arrested for a family violence crime, he/she must appear in court the next court day, at which time you can request a protective order.
  • If your partner is arrested, there is a family violence victim advocate in court to provide services and support to you. Family Violence Intervention Units in each court evaluate cases and provide services for both victims and offenders.
  • If you want to know when your partner is scheduled to appear in court, you can contact the clerk of the court for that information. You are encouraged to keep in touch with the victim advocate to see which court hearings are important for you to attend.

To obtain a court order to stop further physical injury or harassment, contact:

Connecticut Network for Legal Aid 
Connecticut's Legal Aid programs worked together to create to help people with very limited income find help for their legal problems. The website will try to answer your questions and give you legal information and tools to help you represent yourself.