Frequently Asked Questions


  1. What is the procedure for identifying yourself to Student Accessibility Services (SAS)?
    In order to receive academic adjustments, call or stop by SAS as soon as possible to schedule and intake appointment with an Accessibility Specialist. It is helpful to have copies of documentation of your disability forwarded to SAS prior to your appointment. (203) 285-2231, Rm. S202
  2. What type of documentation is required to receive services?
    Documentation of your disability is required to receive services from SAS. Documentation may include but is not limited to, most recent triennial/ psychological testing or a letter from a doctor/therapist. All documentation must be signed by the evaluator. Please note that the most recent IEP with Summary of Performance and 504 Plans will be viewed as forms of secondary documentation.
  3. What types of academic adjustments are available?
    Academic adjustments are only available after SAS has had adequate time to evaluate documentation. Reasonable adjustments are available for students with a documented disability once documentation has been reviewed and evaluated by SAS. Examples of academic adjustments may include extended time on tests/exams, distraction free testing in SAS, or the ability to use of a tape recorder in class.
  4. Will my personal information be kept confidential?
    Yes. SAS is the Gateway Community College agent charged with the responsibility for collecting and maintaining disability documentation.  Submitted documentation becomes the property of the College; any documentation provided to SAS is stored in a secure file system with limited access for no more than seven (7) years from the date students were last registered at the College. Documentation sent to the College by prospective students is kept only for those students who subsequently attend Gateway the following semester. Documentation received by this College will remain confidential and will not be shared with faculty, administration, or parents without the student’s informed and written consent, except where disclosure is required by law. Confidentiality is not maintained relative to child abuse, or suicidal or homicidal intent. A written release of information must be completed by the student before documentation will be released to the student and/or other parties.
  5. Are services available to full-time students only?
    Services from SAS are available for all full- and part-time students with a documented disability.
  6. Is tutoring available through SAS?
    Tutoring is available through the Center for Educational Services office.
  7. Does SAS provide assistive technology?
    Yes, a variety of technology is available based on individual needs. Evaluations or devices for personal needs are not provided by SAS.  Please contact your outside service providers.
  8. Will I receive the same services I had in high school?
    The level of support differs between high school and college. In high school, student services are ensured under IDEA; in college, ADA and Section 504 apply to the provision of services.

Helpful Links