Academic Adjustment Grievance Guidelines and Procedure

Informal Academic Adjustment Grievance Procedure

  1. A student who feels that the approved academic adjustment(s), as stated in the academic adjustment letter, are not being effectively provided by the instructor, or has additional concerns, should contact an Accessibility Specialist from the SAS office.
  2. After meeting with the student, if appropriate, the student will be encouraged to meet with the faculty member to discuss the requested academic adjustment(s) or additional concerns.
  3. If the conflict remains unresolved, an Accessibility Specialist from the SAS office will contact and/or meet with the faculty member. At the discretion of the SAS office, this meeting may include the student, division director, or academic dean.
  4. If a resolution cannot be reached, the student will be referred to the grievance procedures as described in the GCC Student Handbook.

Formal Academic Adjustment Grievance Procedure

A grievance is an allegation by a student that, as to him/her, an agent of the college has violated board or college policies relating to students other than assignments of grades or other academic evaluation. The following people have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:  Dean of Student Affairs (Title IX Coordinator).

A grievance is to be submitted in writing to the Dean of Student Affairs or their designated representative within (30) days of the date of the grievance or when the student knew or reasonably would have known of the alleged violation. The written grievance shall specify the right claimed to have been violated and state briefly the underlying facts.

The Dean of Student Affairs, and/or their designated representative shall investigate the grievance and within thirty (30) days from the time the grievance was submitted, recommend to the President or his/her designee a disposition of the grievance, except as provided hereinafter. In the course of each investigation, the Dean of Student Affairs or their designated representative shall consult with whichever Dean responsible for the area of college operations in which the grievance arose.       

In the case of a grievance alleging discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, present or past history of genetic information, learning disability, marital status, intellectual/physical disability, prior conviction of a crime, political beliefs, veteran status, or sexual preference, the Dean of Student Affairs or their designated representative shall consult with the college’s Affirmative Action officer during the course of the investigation (Student Handbook).

Although students are encouraged to utilize GCC’s process towards resolving disability-related grievances, all students have a right to file a complaint directly with the U.S. Department of Education, or Office of Civil Rights (OCR).