The Student Success Center advising team is available for online and telephone appointments, as well as quick advising questions via:

How to access MS Teams Chat

  1. Login to MyCommnet.
  2. Login/select to your GCC Email icon at the top of your screen.
  3. Once in your email, click on the 9 dots in the upper left corner of your screen to the left of the CSCU.
  4. Select Team
  5. Click on Chat the left side of the app.
  6. Click on the small pencil and paper icon on the top of the page to the right of the Microsoft Teams to create a New Chat.
  7. Type the name of an academic advisor and select the correct name.
  8. Type your message in the Chat field that read “type a new message” and hit enter or select the send arrow.

Please only reach out to one advisor either via email OR chat.  All inquiries will be responded to on a first come first serve basis and chats will be responded to in between scheduled appointments.


Students who require an academic advising appointment should reach out to their academic advisor based on who they have met with in the past or via the general office email at Please include the following:

  • Full name
  • Banner ID#
  • What you need assistance with
  • Dates and times you are available to meet online via Webex, MS Teams or talk on the telephone.   (video conferencing and phone calls will have a caller ID from out of state and likely California, so please answer those calls as they are from College personnel.)

Please allow for 45 minutes when scheduling your academic advising appointments.

Staff will respond to you M-F between 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.

If you are trying to register for courses and require an Authorization Pin Code or received a “Prerequisite and Test Score Error”, email the general office email at  In order to expedite your request, please include the following:

  • Full Name
  • Gateway Student ID number
  • Class(es) for which you’d like to register
  • Semester in which you’d like to register
  • Attach transcripts outside of Gateway showing prerequisite courses (pdf files preferred)

All transfer advising appointments with other universities are suspended at this time, except for scheduled appointments with Southern CT State University.  Students can schedule a virtual appointment with SCSU representative Kaitlyn Hoffmann via their My Gateway account or by emailing  This page will be updated to reflect additional rescheduled university advising opportunities.
If you have a HOLD on your account please email With your name and Banner ID#.



How do I identify my academic advisor?

Students are not assigned to one specific advisor, however students are encouraged to refer to the list of program coordinators and contact them for advising. Students who are undecided on their program major should visit the Student Success Center for advising.

How do I know what courses to take to complete my degree or certificate?

You can go to and click on Degree Works.

How do I know if I am eligible for graduation?

Please schedule an appointment with one of the advisors to perform and review your degree evaluation. Prior to your appointment, you are encouraged to perform your own degree evaluation.

*IMPORTANT* Degree evaluations in myCommNet are only for 2014-2015 catalog years or earlier.


BIO 105 Introduction to Biology is full. Now what can I do?

Students trying to take a BIO 105 class should consider the following options:

  • Keep checking online to see if a spot opens up. The department will NOT over-enroll any lab Biology classes. Your only option to add a class is to add it if a spot opens up.  
  • Take it at another community college. Many Gateway students go to Housatonic Community College (HCC) in Bridgeport to take this class because HCC offers a wide selection of Summer and Fall Biology classes. You would have to go there to register for the class. If you are receiving Financial Aid, check with the Financial Aid office to see if you are eligible to have it covered through a consortium agreement.

What classes transfer to 4-year schools? 

You should make an appointment with an advisor to discuss what will transfer.

What are the nursing requirements? 

See the Nursing packet. Students should attend a nursing information session, which is offered each month.

I am a transfer student, what do I bring with me for advising?

In addition to submitting your official transcripts to the admissions office, you should also bring unofficial copies of your transcripts from all previous colleges. To get your credits officially evaluated and added to your GCC transcript, you will need to complete the transfer credit evaluation form.

I am on academic probation. What do I do?

Probation students will be able to take up to three (3) classes (or 9 credits). They should also meet with an advisor at the Student Success Center to discuss their resources.

Am I eligible for a Fresh Start?

For the Fresh Start option, students will be eligible if they have not attended college for four (4) consecutive semesters and their GPA is below 2.00. Students will need to complete Fresh Start Option form. Contact the Student Success Center for more details.