Business Office Technology
Associate in Science
This program provides high quality instruction using state-of-the-art computer technology and current software programs to prepare competent, skilled, and professional office workers who are able to meet the demands of business.
Administrative assistants play vital roles in American business, government, and industry. To prepare for these roles, students may choose from any of the five associate degrees or six certificate options described below. There is always a great demand for administrative assistants. Because college-trained administrative assistants possess a high level of skills, maturity, and a sophisticated attitude, they enter an organization with three advantages: 1) they command a better starting salary, 2) they may work for higher level executives, and 3) they will receive promotions more rapidly than those without a college degree.
Students enrolling in this program who have previous keyboarding instruction should contact a member of the Business Office Technology faculty at (203) 285-2177. Students with no previous keyboarding instruction are advised to take Keyboarding for Information Processing I (BOT* 111) in the summer session in order to follow the fall-spring sequence of courses. Students interested in receiving credit for life experience should contact one of the faculty members in the Business Office Technology Division.
Business Office Technology Program Outcomes
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates should be able to:
• Demonstrate technical proficiency in office applications software including: word processing, operating system, electronic spreadsheet, database management, integrated office applications and presentation graphics.
• Exhibit verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills.
• Key and format business documents and demonstrate proofreading skills.
• Demonstrate effective use of soft skills including: professionalism, adaptability to change, initiative, confidentiality, positive attitude and human-relations and creativity.
• Practice ethical behavior and incorporate the principles of honesty and integrity.
• Apply critical-thinking strategies and effective decision-making techniques to solve problems.
• Demonstrate self-management skills, including time management and organization.
• Contribute as a productive team member in a culturally and intellectually diverse global environment.