1. What is the procedure for identifying yourself to Student Disability Services?
    In order to receive accommodations, call or stop by the SDS office as soon as possible to schedule and intake appointment with a Learning Disabilities Specialist.  It is helpful to have copies of documentation of your disability forwarded to SDS office prior to your appointment. (203.285.2231, South 202)
  2. What type of documentation is required to receive services?
    Documentation of your disability is required to receive services from the SDS office. Documentation may include but is not limited to, most recent triennial/ psychological testing or a letter from a doctor/therapist. All documentation must be signed by the evaluator.  Please note that the most recent IEP with Summary of Performance and 504 Plans will be viewed as forms of secondary documentation.
  3. What types of accommodations are available?
    Accommodations are only available after the SDS office has had adequate time to evaluate documentation. Reasonable accommodations are available for students with a documented disability once documentation has been reviewed and evaluated by the SDS office. Examples of accommodations may include extended time on tests/exams, distraction free testing in the SDS office, or the ability to use of a tape recorder in class.
  4. Will my personal information be kept confidential?
    Yes, documentation is confidential and will not be shared without the student signing a release of information.
  5. Are services available to full time students only?
    Services from the SDS office are available for all full time and part time students with a documented disability.
  6. Is tutoring available through the SDS office?
    Tutoring is available through the Center for Educational Services office.
  7. Does SDS provide assistive technology?
    Yes, a variety of technology is available based on individual needs. Evaluations or devices for personal needs are not provided by the SDS office.  Please contact your outside service providers.
  8. Will I receive the same services I had in high school?
    The level of support differs between high school and college.  In high school, student services are ensured under IDEA; in college, ADA and Section 504 apply to the provision of services.